.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ichi the Killer

Bursa Malaysia stock trading portfolio of nobody really important.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

ICAP

ICAP latest NAV spiked to 1.13, as reported today. It's performance since launch has been pretty impressive, bearing in mind it's probably not able to invest in speculative stocks.

I consider my ICAP holdings a long-term "investment" and not part of my trading portfolio. Actually, it's more like "sub-contracting" a portion of my funds to a 3rd party manager, on the assumption that it will generate above market returns at far lower risk than I would take on under active trading. Naturally, with higher risk on the active trading side, I would target higher returns than the ICAP "investment", but so far ICAP has done better than any of my unit trusts.

iCapital has rated ICAP twice previously from "Buy below 1.10" to "Buy below 1.15". With the current NAV, I expect they will re-rate to "Buy below 1.20" soon. Seems funny why iCapital rates ICAP at all though, since they're related and independence would be questioned.

Anyway, it's worth considering for anyone willing to relieve some of the stress and "sub-contract" a portion of funds out to a professional manager. But it should be held long-term to fully realise its potential (magic of compounding), unless its price shoots up to ridiculously high levels or one needs the funds urgently for something else.

/ichithekiller

2 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Moolah said...

Ichi,

Great point u have pointed out.

This is exactly what I have been saying against iCap.

yes... as a fund manager they are probably 'good'...

but... once they become a fund manager...

they cannot be an independant investment advicer no more!

there is simply no buts to this issue...

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger ichithekiller said...

Hi Moola,

BUT ... but ... but, they're making me money ... so, who cares..? He he ...

Just ignore their rating on ICAP and make your own decision, I say. So far, they're still doing a good job (managing money, that is).

By the way, I like your "Top of the World" series and I have many of the same reservations about it, but still it keeps going up ... so what can we say, right? Just wish them Topglov fans all the best, hopefully there wont be teruk margin squeeze or continuing interest rate hike...otherwise there will be one pretty spectacular blow-up.

Considering Investssmart rates it as one of the best companies on Bursa, it must have something good going for it, knowing his exacting standards ... though I just can't bring myself to put a foot in. Well, you can't win 'em all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home